play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

Listeners:

Top listeners:

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    LWR TALK London World Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    LWR COMEDY London World Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    LWR LIVE London World Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    LWR SPORTS London World Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    LWR HEALTH London World Radio

World News

Donald Trump pulls out of giving evidence at New York fraud trial at 11th hour | US News

today11/12/2023

Background
share close


Donald Trump has pulled out of giving evidence at his New York civil fraud trial.

The former US president had been expected to return to the witness stand on Monday.

He was due to be the last big defence witness in the case, which threatens his real estate empire.

Posting on social media, Trump said he “VERY SUCCESSFULLY & CONCLUSIVELY” testified last month and saw no need to appear again.

In the posts, written in capital letters, he said he had “nothing more to say”.

He went on to repeat his claim that the case was a “witch hunt” aimed at hindering his bid to retake the White House.

Trump is accused of inflating his net worth to secure loans and insurance policies on more favourable terms. He denies any wrongdoing.

The former president gave evidence in court on 6 November, where he repeatedly sparred with the judge who he described as “extremely hostile”.

Trump gave a series of lengthy answers to which the judge responded: “This is not a political rally”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Trump’s ‘political rally’ from court

His defence lawyers had been due to lead questioning on Monday, although state lawyers could have cross-examined him.

The trial, which has lasted more than two months, was initiated last year when New York Attorney General Letitia James sued Trump over what she claimed was his pattern of misleading banks and insurers.

Read more::
Ivanka Trump gives evidence in father’s fraud trial
Biden ‘isn’t sure he’d be running if Trump weren’t in race’

The lawsuit accuses Trump, his company and top executives – including his sons Eric and Donald Trump Jr – of inflating wealth.

The judge, Arthur Engoron, ruled before the trial that Trump and other defendants engaged in fraud.

He ordered that a receiver take control of some Trump properties, but an appeals court has paused that.

The judge is now considering six other claims made in the lawsuit, including allegations of conspiracy and insurance fraud.

Trump is the current frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination ahead of next year’s election.

This civil case is one of several ongoing legal battles he faces.



Source link

Written by: lwrradio

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

0%